2011-2012 Dakota Combo selected
The 2011-2012 edition of the Dakota Combo was announced last week by director Adam Linz, following open auditions. A MacPhail Center of Music ensemble supported through funding from the Dakota Foundation for Jazz Education, the Combo program began in fall 2006 to provide intensive learning and performance opportunities for the area’s top high school jazz musicians.
During the 2011-2012 school year, the Dakota Combo will rehearse biweekly with Linz at MacPhail and perform frequently, including on the stage of the Dakota Jazz Club, as part of MacPhail’s “Jazz Thursdays” concert series (May 2012), at the Artists Quarter as part of the Twin Cities Jazz Society’s Young Artists Series (spring 2012), at the 2012 Twin Cities Jazz Festival, and at other venues and events. Students will also visit area schools (winter 2012) and participate in clinics and workshops, including a Master Class with nationally renowned drummer Matt Slocum (October 2011) and a “Combo Festival” at MacPhail (April 2012).
The student musicians of the Dakota Combo for 2011-2012 :
- Joshua Jones, saxophone, Minneapolis Southwest HS
- Samuel Roberto, saxophone, Pine City HS
- Thomas Strommen, saxophone, Wayzata HS
- Joe Suihkonen, trumpet, Minneapolis South HS
- Patrick Adkins, piano, Edina HS
- Sam Wildenauer, bass, Minneapolis South HS
- Henry Misa, drums, Avalon School (St. Paul)