2013-2014 Dakota Combo Announced
The MacPhail Center for Music and the Dakota Foundation for Jazz Education (DFJE) announce the 8th edition of The Dakota Combo, an all-star ensemble of area high school jazz players. Selected through open auditions, the Combo’s young musicians will rehearse and perform throughout the year under the direction of Adam Linz, Jazz Coordinator for MacPhail.
Alumni of the Dakota Combo have moved on to study at the nation’s top music programs, including the New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music, New England Conservatory of Music and the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, among others. During the school year, the Dakota Combo will rehearse biweekly with Linz and perform in a variety of settings, including at the Artists’ Quarter, the Dakota Jazz Club, the Twin Cities Jazz Festival, and at other venues and events. Students will also visit area schools and participate in clinics and workshops.
The student musicians of the 2013-2014 Dakota Combo are (pictured above from left to right):
- Will Kjeer, piano, Home School/PSEO
- Levi Schwartzberg, vibes, Minneapolis Southwest High School
- Aidan Sponheim, trumpet, Minneapolis Southwest High School
- Sam Worthington, bass, Mounds View High School
- Ben Ehrlich, drums, Wayzata High School
- Peter Goggin, alto sax, Mounds View High School
- Jack Courtright, trombone, Apple Valley High School