Experience Jazz Auditions – Sign up by Wed, Sept. 20
SEP 23, 2017
Location: McNally Smith College of Music - 19 E Exchange Street, St. Paul, MN 55101
Auditions for “Experience Jazz” will be held Saturday, Sept. 23,12:30-3:30pm at McNally Smith College of Music (19 E Exchange Street, St. Paul, MN 55101).
Registration for auditions is required by Wednesday, Sept. 20. To register, visit our Eventbrite webpage.
- Auditions are open to all Minnesota student instrumentalists and vocalists grade 6-12
- Auditions will take place in 10 minute time slots. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your assigned audition time, and allow time to find parking.
- If you have a preferred audition time or other scheduling needs, please indicate them in your registation form.
- All participants will be asked to commit for the duration of the October-June program. Sessions begin on October 7, see all program dates listed below.
About Experience Jazz
“While rooted in jazz, this program will embrace the power and artistry of hip-hop, rhythm & blues and other genres students and instructors want to explore together. Our goal is to bring together students of various cultural and musical backgrounds in an innovative music-making environment.” – Justin Christy, DFJE Board Chair
Who is this for?
- Up to 25 middle and high school musicians with varying levels of experience
- For student instrumentalists & vocalists seeking musical mentorship and creative collaboration
What will students do?
- Collaborate with other like-minded musicians in an ensemble setting
- Learn repertoire and musical vocabulary from established professional musicians
- Explore the spirit of jazz and other musical traditions, while directly influencing the material
How is it organized?
- Auditions will help place participants in ensembles according to skill level and instrument
- Three different ensembles will meet on Saturday afternoons, twice monthly, Sept. 2017-June 2018
- Each ensemble will be led by a professional teaching artist and McNally Smith student mentor
- Each ensemble will prepare repertoire selected by their teaching artist
- Ensembles will give regular performances for their peers, and periodic public performances
What is required?
- Students must provide their own instruments (in reasonable working order)
- Students must have some experience playing their instrument
- Preferred instruments include: brass (trumpet, trombone, French horn, euphonium, tuba), woodwind (saxophone, clarinet, flute, bass clarinet), percussion (drum set, hand percussion, electronic percussion), keyboard (piano, vibes, marimba, synthesizers), and stringed instruments (violin, viola, cello, electric or acoustic bass, guitar). Other instruments may be considered.
- If you are accepted into the program, you will be asked to commit to attendance at all program sessions, October 2017 to June 2018.
- Classes take place on select Saturdays 1:30-3:30pm, dates include: Oct 7 & 21, Nov 4 & 18, Dec 2 & 16, Jan 27, Feb 10 & 24, Mar 24, Apr 7 & 21, May 5 & 19, Jun 2.
- $125 for the year – full or partial scholarships will be made available upon request
Click here to view this program description as a PDF. For more information, visit the Experience Jazz webpage, or contact *protected email*.