Announcing Experience Jazz Auditions
JAN 5, 2019
Location: High School for Recording Arts
With in-person auditions on Jan 5, and video audition submissions accepted through Jan 11, students can apply in multiple ways!
We hope to welcome as many students as we can who are hungry for an experience like this, and meet basic program requirements. To apply for Experience Jazz 2019, we ask you to:
- Complete a short online application.
- Show off your skills, by either:
- Signing up for an in-person audition, in the online application by Thursday, Jan 3. Auditions are on Saturday, January 5th 2019 1:30-3:30pm at High School for Recording Arts (1166 University Ave W, Saint Paul, MN 55104); –OR–
- Submitting a video audition by Friday, January 11, 2019
Click here to apply for Experience Jazz 2019.
How to submit your video audition
To submit a video audition online, upload your video(s) to Dropbox at the link, provided in the online application (maximum file size 2GB; you may upload separate videos, if necessary). Please include your first and last name in the title of your video. If you have trouble uploading your video or have any questions, please contact *protected email*.
In-person Audition Requirements
- Auditions are open to all Minnesota student music artists grade 7-12
- In-person auditions will scheduled ahead of time, and take 5-10 minutes.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your assigned audition time.
- If you have a preferred audition time or other scheduling needs, please indicate them in your application form.
About Experience Jazz
Who is Experience Jazz for?
Experience Jazz is a 16-week, genre-bridging music ensemble program for instrumentalists, vocalists, rappers, DJs and other aspiring musical artists. This weekly program is open to up to 25 students grades 7-12. The goal of this program is to foster creativity and collaboration by bringing together aspiring artists from diverse backgrounds with a common desire to make new music rooted in jazz, blues, pop and hip-hop. Musicians of all skill levels are encouraged to apply!
What will happen?
- Think you know where jazz came from? How about hip-hop?Experience Jazz will be rooted in the history and stories of these connected artforms and others to help you grow your musical vocabulary.
- Are you a beatmaker who wants to set a new course for jazz? A jazz artist who wants to play to a new beat?You can do all of that! Experience Jazz teachers will facilitate musical exchanges across genres.
- Do you like the challenge of making new music?You’ll get to collaborate with fellow musicians in ensembles of 5-8 students and professional artist-educators to create new works.
- Want to experience the magic of live recording and performance?Students will have the opportunity to record their compositions in a pro studio environment, release their music digitally world-wide, and perform it for live audiences within the program and at public events.
When is it?
- Saturdays 1:30-3:30pm January 26-June 1 (except 3/30, 4/6 and 5/25)
Where is it?
- High School for Recording Arts (HSRA), conveniently located in St. Paul at 1166 University Ave (near Lexington Ave and Hwy 94) on the Green Line and easily accessible through many Metro Transit bus lines.
- Bring the instrument you play, or if needed, we will try to help you locate one. Larger items like PAs, mics, drum kits, keyboards and some amps will be provided.
- Commit to attending all weekly sessions
- $150 per participant. Full and partial scholarships will be awarded based on merit and need.
Experience Jazz is presented in partnership with
Experience Jazz is funded, in part, by an Arts Learning grant from: